Mandatory Commercial Recycling (AB341)
Is Your Business or Multifamily Residential Dwelling Affected?
State legislation (AB 341) mandates businesses and public entities generating four (4) cubic yards or more of waste per week and multifamily residential dwellings with five (5) units or more to recycle.
All businesses and multifamily residential dwellings are encouraged to take advantage of recycling programs and select any combination of the following to divert commercial solid waste from disposal:
- Subscribe to recycling services from Burrtec
- Arrange for the pickup of recyclable materials
- Self-haul recyclables to a recycling center
- Utilize mixed-waste processing services
More details can be found at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/climate/recycling/faq.htm
It is important for business and multifamily residential dwellings to be proactive and contact their solid waste recycling service provider to ensure they are receiving the recycling services necessary to comply with AB 341.
A property owner of a commercial business or a multifamily residential dwelling may require tenants to source separate their recyclable materials to aid in compliance.
How will compliance be monitored?
Jurisdictions (cities & counties) are required to assess whether affected generators (businesses/multifamily residential dwellings) are complying with the requirement to recycle. They are also required to identify and notify businesses that are not in compliance and inform them of the requirement to recycle and how they can recycle.
Let Burrtec Assist You in Establishing Your Recycling Program!
Starting a recycling program is not the same for everyone; however the first step is to assess the materials (or waste) that your business or multifamily residential dwelling generates. Then choose the right size of both trash and recycling bins that will suit your needs. Finally, and most importantly, educate your staff or tenants on the right materials for each bin. While the steps can be few they are important.
Burrtec Recycling Coordinators can assist in establishing a program, along with providing the necessary education and outreach. Call our Customer Service Department today to schedule a complimentary waste and recycling survey.
Recycling Considerations: Make Your Program a Success!
Ensuring that your recycling program is successful depends on a few key elements; most importantly assistance from employees and residents. Here are a few pointers to get you started in the right direction.
- Post signage to remind employees or residents to recycle specific items (cardboard, paper, etc.). Communication is essential. Newsletters and flyers also reinforce the message.
- Placement of recycling cans next to trash cans increases the chances of getting more recyclables into the correct container.
- Emptying recycling bins into the proper recycling dumpster will ensure that your business or multifamily residential dwelling is doing their part to lower costs and reduce landfill waste.
Recyclable Material Examples:
- Aerosol cans (empty)
- Aluminum foil and trays
- Cans: aluminum, bi-metal and tin
- Corrugated cardboard
- Glass jars and bottles
- Magazines and catalogs
- Mixed paper: brown bags, cereal boxes, colored paper, computer paper, construction paper, cracker boxes, envelopes, junk mail, legal pad backings, paper egg cartons, shoe boxes and white paper
- Newspaper, including inserts and coupons
- Plastic containers (# 1– 7)
- Scrap metal
- Telephone books
* Please note that not every area accepts Styrofoam in the recycling bin. Please contact us for further information.